Monday, April 13, 2009

Education and the Church

I was reading the Ensign and came across this article. It really expresses to me why women in particular should get an education. Many times I find people online that are LDS that criticize women like me because we chose to wait to have children to better ourselves with an education. They understand the importance of an education but they don't understand why women should in most circumstances finish their education before having children. They claim that we are commanded to have children (pretty much ASAP!), which is not true. I know that my children will appreciate that we waited for them so that I could finish school. I will teach them the importance of an education. David has a more dangerous job than most people, so it is important for me to have the ability to support our family if the occasion arises. When our kids are all grown up I don't want to go back to school so I can work. I want to be able to just jump right into a career. Go read the article it's exactly what has been on my mind for the past few years.

2 comments:

Griff-Fam said...

Sarah~ Hey I found your blog, and was just scrolling down and this post caught my eye.
I think its awesome that you are so driven to finish your education. When you know what is right for you and you follow through- you will be blessed! I bet some of the ladies you are talking about probably regret not finishing their education, and thats why they try and justify their lives. But everyone has a path to follow, you don't even need to defend your decision.
Do I regret not finishing my College education before starting my family? A little. But I don't regret starting my family for a second. I will finish it someday, and you are right, the Army is dangerous, so it is definitely a good idea for an Army wife, especially, to get an education.
I am glad that I at least went to school for Massage Therapy to have a skill, should I need to work someday. And I loved doing it. But anyways, I am rambling on and on, and just wanted to tell you good job!

Sarah said...

Hey Alaina! Thanks for the comment! Glad you found my blog! I'm really happy I finished my bachelor's although right now I keep changing my mind about if we should start a family while I'm in Pharmacy School or if we should wait until I'm done! I think that even if you don't finish your degree/college education that having a skill is still important. There are people out there that just can't do college and I understand that. A few years ago I wouldn't have but lately I'm starting to see things through other people's eyes.