Friday, August 14, 2009

Crock Pot dinners

I generally work the late shift at the Pharmacy so I don't get home until a little after 9pm. When I do have work I try to put something in the crock pot for dinner so I won't have to come home and cook, plus 9pm is really late to be eating dinner as is. This is what I did last time I had dinner in the crock pot.

First I sliced the assortment of left over veggies that I had in the fridge (red pepper, green pepper, tomato, onion, garlic, carrots). I placed them on a piece of foil and sprinkled with some salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, oregano, and thyme (I think next time I will leave out the thyme and oregano ;)

I know some people hate cooking in the crockpot because they are hard to clean. That's why I buy reynolds slow cooker bags. You can find them in the grocery store near the ziploc bags and oven bags. They have come in so handy and I'm glad I discovered them!

Next I washed and sliced some potatoes, sprinkled them with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, and added about 1 tbsp of butter.

Then I folded up my pouches of veggies and potatoes so that they couldn't leak.

In the bottom of the crock pot I put in a little bit of water (1/4 cup), red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce (probably about 1 tbsp each), I added some salt, pepper, peppercorns, garlic and onion powder, fresh sliced onions and garlic. Then I put the meat on top. and sprinkled some more salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder.
I covered the meat with foil

Placed the veggie and potato packet on top with the seams up so they don't leak

Placed the lid on

And set to cook for 6-8hours on low (it was a little more than 8 hours for me)


I forgot to take a picture of the finished product but all in all it wasn't too bad. The meat was a little dry for my taste but the potatoes were cooked and so were the veggies. I suggest for best results cook this on high for 4 hours. It was nice being able to come home to dinner already cooked.

No comments: