Sunday, August 23, 2009

Wisdom Tooth Extraction

Monday morning at 8:30am I had my wisdom teeth surgically removed. David got permission to take the day off and drove me to and from the appointment. When we arrived I paid for my portion of the surgery ($477...much better than $800 I was quoted over 4 years ago). Then David sat in the waiting room and I was taken to the back. They sat me in the chair. Gave me something to sign that explained what they were going to be doing and the risks involved, ibuprofen, some water to swallow the ibuprofen, some mouth was to swish and spit out and then she put the nitrous oxide mask on my face. At first there was nothing coming out of the mask and then she turned it on but it was up way to high b/c it was blowing nitrous oxide at my nose, it was hard to breath! I told her about it and then she turned it down to a more comfortable level. I then started feeling a little whoozy. The doctor came in and said "You aren't pregnant or anything crazy like that are you?". Of course I said no. Then he left and the nurse asked me how I was...I told her a little whoozy and she was going to turn my mask down again but the other lady had already done so and I told her that the other lady had turned it down. She then told me she was going to put the IV in my arm. Asked me which arm they usually used and then handed me a ball to squeeze. Once I was done squeezing the ball she told me to hold a fist and then said I was going to feel a pinch. It really didn't hurt to get the IV in. That was (I think) the first time I ever had an IV. She then told meshe was going to inject some stuff into my IV at which point I felt a weird sensation in my arm and the next thing I knew I was out like a light. The next thing I remember is someone putting my glasses on my face and David helping me out to the car; with a towel on my head because it was raining. I then slipped in and out of consciousness from the office to post (David was trying to get my prescriptions for pain meds, anti nausea meds, and mouthwash filled), post didn't have one of them so he drove to Walmart and I stayed in the car and slept. Finally he came out with my prescriptions and we headed to Wendy's so David could get lunch and me some frosty's for later. We came home and I slept some more. I didn't really feel any pain the first day because of the IV meds still being in my system and taking the ibuprofen and vicodin prescribed. The second day was worse. I couldn't do anything because I was so dizzy from the vicodin and lack of food (had to eat mushy foods). David came home from work at around 1pm and took care of me. I then returned to work on Wednesday and stopped taking the vicodin the night before because I wouldn't be able to drive if I did and David had left that morning to start WLC so he couldn't take me either. So for the last 3 days I have been in pain, mostly when I sleep. I did take some ibuprofen for the pain and that helped. I also couldn't open my jaw wide enough to eat anything besides liquids and mushy stuff. Yesterday I was finally able to open my mouth enough and I used a syringe to squirt water into the holes in my lower jaw. That was the nastiest thing ever because food from Tuesday came out of the holes. No wonder my right side of my face hurt so much!!!, there was rotting food in there, sick! Today is Sunday and I feel much, much better! I go back tomorrow for my follow up. I'm just glad to finally have my wisdom teeth gone and to not have to worry about doing that anymore.

2 comments:

ACDC2005 said...

That sounds terrible but at least it is over! I know that every time I have gotten an IV it hurts except my last to D&C's they used a numbing agent in my vein first, and I don't think I would ever want one now without it because they suck! But the guy also let me inject my meds into my IV. HAHAHA fun times.

Sarah said...

David wanted to give me the IV b/c ever since he did RIP he's wanted to give me one since he is trained on how to do it....hahaha. I told him maybe when we have a kid he could put the IV in...maybe! It really didn't hurt any more than getting a needle in your arm...plus the nitrous oxide was making me tired so I really didn't care what she did...I just wanted it over with. I'm glad I was put to sleep for the extraction b/c my brother didn't and I don't understand how he did it b/c it was probably really gross!