Friday, September 10, 2010

Pharmacy School Orientation

I flew out to Omaha at the end of July and had my Pharmacy School orientation. It was a lot of work and a lot of fun. It was nice to meet all the people that are in my class and to meet the faculty. As it turns out I have 5 other people in my class that are LDS and at least 1 of my faculty. The first week there was all getting to know you stuff/intro to what we would be doing. The second week was a skills lab. I arrived Sunday evening and two of my classmates came and picked me up at the airport. I stayed in the dorms which were ok. The bed was really uncomfortable and I ended up buying a pillow at target for $4 since their pillows were terrible. Next year I will probably stay in a hotel (and David might be able to come with me!). We got to meet our faculty and mentors at a few lunches. I got a really snazy laptop so I can do all my school work. On Wednesday, July 28th we had our professionalism ceremony where we received our white coats and recited the Oath of a Pharmacist and The Pledge of a Healthcare Professional. The reason they gave us our white coats now is that we will be working as if we were pharmacist while in school and they want us to realize this and make sure we are acting the part. We also had a service project we did earlier in the day. My group helped out at a shelter in the area. On Saturday, July 31st we had our CPR certification class. They split us up into 2 groups for this one half went in the morning the other half in the afternoon. I was in the afternoon class and a bunch of us decided to go to the Farmers Market downtown. We had a lot of fun! There was a Cotton Candy stand and they had 10 different flavors so we purchased one of each and shared it with our class. I had fun eating out with some of my classmates and got to try raw sushi for the first time...it was DELICIOUS! They also had a great local ice cream store that made their own ice cream every day and it was super cheap! I went to Ted and Wally's at least 3 times during my stay. The second week was a lot more work. Every day we had 2 labs to attend and they lasted all day. We learned how to fill a prescription, how to type a prescription in the computer and make a label, how to transfer a prescription over the phone, how to get a prescription off the answering machine (all stuff I know how to do since I work in a pharmacy). We learned how to look up drug information online if we ever needed to use it. We learned how to look at a patients list of medications and determine if anything they were taking is duplicate or would cause an allergic reaction. We made suppositories and capsules. We learned how to inject a drug into an IV bag (sounds easy but it actually takes a little math and you have to take some of the liquid out of the bag in order to have the correct dilution). We learned about TPNs (total parenteral nutrition, basically if you couldn't eat the IV would have all the nutritional requirements for you). We learned how to take liquid out of a bottle and into a syringe (also sounds easy but you have to make sure you push air into the bottle first so that you don't create a vaccum!). We learned sterile preparation (something I already knew from Biology labs). Learning how to use a Class A Torsion balance (they are a pain in the butt to calibrate!). That's pretty much all I can remember!














































"The Little Blue Dude" (unofficially our pharmacy school mascot!)

2 comments:

ACDC2005 said...

Glad you are having fun and liking your new school! Raw sushi is yum, but only if it's good quality and a good place! Trust me I've had lots of bad sushi before and it doesn't compare!

Griff-Fam said...

wow, Sarah! That is awesome... You should be very proud of yourself, you have worked so hard! I randomly checked your blog, and was so happy to see you updated! You sound very busy, but happy!