Friday, October 22, 2010

Disney Princess Half Marathon & Raising Money

Help me raise money! Click here!

I really wanted to run the Disney Princess Half Marathon in February. I was going to buy my ticket and a ticket for my sister to run it together. Then I started reading "The Nonrunner's Marathon Guide for Women: Get Off Your Butt and On with Your Training". The author suggested running a marathon or half for a charity to help keep you motivated to continue training. I have run 2 half marathons and walked/"ran" a full marathon. Both half marathons I finished but I wasn't really prepared to run them. At most I had run 8 miles before my half marathon (13.1 miles) and didn't like being unprepared. Sometimes I just get lazy and decide I don't want to run for a week or more straight. Then I realize my event is approaching and I need to get back to running. I wanted to run with a running club but in Columbus, GA there are no running clubs that I know of and there really isn't anywhere to run here unless I drive somewhere and I don't see the point of getting in the car to drive somewhere to run. Thankfully I have a gym at my apartment complex and they have treadmills that I run on...but I hate, hate, hate treadmills! We will be moving in the spring and have decided we want to live in Columbia, MD which has a ton of biking/walking paths everywhere, going to the grocery stores, the mall, small lakes, etc. It will be nice to live somewhere we can just walk outside the house and there are a million places to go run!
Now that I'm done with my ramble I have decided that I am going to run the Disney Princess Half Marathon with the Leukemia Lymphoma Society's Virtual Team in Training. My dad was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma last year and is now in complete remission (thanks to God and modern medicine!). LLS gave my parents a grant to help pay for my dads medications since he is on so many and they are really expensive (they would be more expensive if he didn't have insurance, I'm so grateful that he has a great job that told him to take his time and his job would be there for him when he got back...he just started back at work this last month doing stuff from home). To give back to this wonderful organization and to have a little fun with my sister and mother we are going to be raising money for LLS. I want to be completely honest and up front because I know some people don't appreciate being lied to or having some facts omitted. My goal is to raise $2900. LLS keeps about 75% of the money and 25% goes to the cost of my event (the event, the hotel, the after party, and the staff for our team). So yes I am raising money for LLS and in turn they are allowing me to participate in the Half Marathon without much cost to myself (I have to pay to get there, my food, and if I want to go to Disney I have to pay for that too).

In summation, I'm doing this run for my dad! I want to run with a group of people so that I can stay motivated to train for it and run the half marathon. It will be a great way for me to give back to LLS for helping my family and to have a little fun and fitness! My dad was always cycling to stay fit and since his diagnosis he has not been able to cycle for the last year. Dad I'm doing this one for you! So please help me meet my goal even if you can donate just $1 any little bit will help!

Help me raise money! Click here!

No comments: